In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

  1. #1
    Jeff Watkins
    Guest

    In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

    There are many times when i highlight rows in an excel spreadsheet and
    sometimes I use different colors say for example green for "wins", red for
    "losses" and blue for "in progress".

    If you didnt have those "words" in a separate column but did have the row
    color coded with these colors, there is no way to sort the column by color
    and that would be very helpful if you could do that.

    Any thoughts?

    Jeff Watkins
    [email protected]
    Area Sales Rep - New England

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

    See this two sites

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm

    You can use this add-in to filter on color
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Dominic

    Check out: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

  4. #4
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

    Rather than color the rows manually, I would put codes ("W", "L" and
    something for "In Progress" in the example given) in the first column
    and use Conditional Formatting to color the rows based on the codes.
    (What can I say? I'm lazy.) Then I'd perform a sort on that column,
    basing the order on what I'd like to see first.

  5. #5
    Jeff Watkins
    Guest

    Re: In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

    Thanks for the tips... I have used the conditioning formats before, I just
    dont understand why Microsoft hasnt built the color sorting into excel, seems
    like it would be helpful to have that.

    I am trying the 3rd party addins right now and trying to figure out a
    workaround, thanks again to all for the help.

    Jeff

  6. #6
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

    Jeff,
    I don't know of any third party add-ins that will sort conditional formatted cells -
    my commercial add-in won't do that, but it does sort conventionally added colors...
    http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  7. #7
    Jeff Watkins
    Guest

    RE: In Excel it would help a lot to be able to sort rows by color

    I would like to try that program you have created, can you email it to me or
    how do I go about taking a closer look at it?

    Thanks for the help.

    Jeff

  8. #8
    Jim Cone