Password protect cells

  1. #1
    Punky
    Guest

    Password protect cells

    I have a sheet that people need to enter data into, but I have a problem
    with people deleting the formulas in other cells.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to password protect one or several
    cells without protecting the entire sheet?

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Password protect cells

    Punky

    Protection is a two part process (by default ALL cells are locked, so
    applying protection to the sheet will lock them ALL). Select the cells you
    wish UN-protected and go to Format>Cells...>Protection and un-check locked,
    then protect the sheet via Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet... These cells
    will now be changeable, with the others locked

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Password protect cells

    You can lock cells or unlock cells (format|cells|protection tab).

    After you lock/unlock cells, you can protect the worksheet
    (tools|protection|protect sheet)

    When the worksheet is protected, the user won't be able to changed the locked
    cells, but will be able to change the values in the unlocked cells.

    There are other things that are disabled when the sheet is protected (you'll
    want to test to see if you need any of these features).

    But be aware that worksheet protection is easily broken--but it will make it
    somewhat safer for the lives of your formulas.

  4. #4
    Punky
    Guest

    Re: Password protect cells

    Thank you very much. That was the angle I was missing.
    Will the users still be able to save the sheet though?

  5. #5
    Punky
    Guest

    Re: Password protect cells

    Thank you!

  6. #6

    Re: Password protect cells

    They'll still be able to save the workbook.