How can you restore a document after saving it wrong?

  1. #1
    Carrinna
    Guest

    How can you restore a document after saving it wrong?

    I hit save instead of save as on a document I was working on. How do I get
    the original document back?

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How can you restore a document after saving it wrong?

    You can't. Unless you or your network makes backups, the original
    file is gone forever.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can you restore a document after saving it wrong?

    Carrinna

    Generally this means you have overwritten the original and cannot get it back.

    UNLESS........you have a backup you made yourself or got Excel to "always save a
    backup" under File>Save As>Tools>General Options.

    If you always save a backup, look for *.XLK files.

    The latest of these will be one version before the saved version.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Carrinna
    Guest

    RE: How can you restore a document after saving it wrong?

    Thanks for your help. I figured it was gone. How to I change my settings to
    save backups? That would be really helpful.

  5. #5

    Re: How can you restore a document after saving it wrong?

    In excel, this is a workbook setting (unlike MSWord where you specify it once
    for the application and all documents).

    File|Save As|Tools|General Options|Always create a backup

    You could create a workbook template and use that for a template for all new
    workbooks.

    Start a new workbook.
    File|SaveAs (and remember to change that setting!)

    Save it as Book.xlt (a template file) in your XLStart folder.

    All new workbooks that are created using that template (like when you click on
    the New icon on the standard toolbar) will inherit this setting.

  6. #6