Strange Problem

  1. #1
    Rob T
    Guest

    Strange Problem

    One of my customers has, to me, a very perplexing problem. They can execute
    Excel, and open spreadsheets via the File>Open menu (or the folder button),
    but when they double click on a spreadsheet file (such as with Windows
    Explorer), Excel opens, but the document DOES NOT. This is also true when
    trying to open spreadsheet e-mail attachments. They're currently using a
    work-around, by saving the attachment, opening Excel, then opening the saved
    spreadsheet. This is a real headache for them.

    According to them, this just started happening recently. I've reinstalled
    MS Office XP Professional twice, but no help. Is there some setting
    somewhere that they may have inadvertently changed which causes this?

    They're using Windows XP Home SP2.
    --
    Rob Taylor

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Strange Problem

    I always save the attachment and then open from excel. Best to do the same.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rob T
    Guest

    Re: Strange Problem

    They don't like to do that, that's why they consulted me to try to fix the
    problem. This is a very busy, e-mail dependent, real estate firm, and
    they've trained their data entry operators to open the attachments by double
    clicking on the attachment (sometimes there are numerous ones attached to a
    single e-mail). It worked up until last week, so something must have changed
    or happened. I really need to be able to fix the problem, but I'm out of
    ideas. Can someone help me please?
    --
    Rob Taylor

  4. #4

    Re: Strange Problem

    Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
    the file in windows explorer:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    Maybe one of these will work for your clients.