How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types

  1. #1

    How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types

    Hi:

    I'm using Excel 2003. Anyone know how to get it to stop automatically
    choosing a data type for my columns? Some of its automatic features
    are nice but its auto data type sometimes gets in the way. Example, I
    run a program which exports data to Excel. The data contains fractions
    such as 5/6 and 6/6. When I open the newly-created Excel file, Excel
    converts those fractions to dates such as May 6 and June 6. If I could
    get to the worksheet ahead of time, I would format the column as text.
    But it's too late by the time I look at the worksheet and converting to
    text after Excel converts my fraction to a date results in just the
    serial date entry.

    Anyone know how to shut off the auto column data type feature?

    Thanks!
    Kevin

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types

    Kevin

    You can't realy switch it off. You are right about pre-formatting, but that
    obviously doesn't work for you. You could put a single apostrophe (') in
    front of the data before importing. If this import is a csv file format,
    try taking off the extension and then opening via file open in Excel.

    This will invoke the text import wizard and you can select to mark the
    column as data in the wizard. If this is repetitive, you can record a macro
    to run it each time

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types

    Nick Hodge wrote...
    >You can't realy switch it off. You are right about pre-formatting, but that
    >obviously doesn't work for you. You could put a single apostrophe (') in
    >front of the data before importing. If this import is a csv file format,
    >try taking off the extension and then opening via file open in Excel.
    >
    >This will invoke the text import wizard and you can select to mark the
    >column as data in the wizard. If this is repetitive, you can record a macro
    >to run it each time

    For CSV files, another alternative would be using Data > Import
    External Data > Import Data, which will launch the text import wizard
    just after the user selects a CSV file. However, this would import the
    file *into* the active workbook rather than opening the CSV file as a
    separate workbook.

  4. #4
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types

    Harlan

    It amazing really, I use that feature every day, but never consider it for
    text/csv files etc, although many times data in the same workbook is
    desireable. I only use that for 'real' databases, Access (Said quitely in
    case Aaron comes back), SQL server and iSeries Client Access...strange, must
    try harder

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge

  6. #6
    k-man
    Guest

    Re: How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types

    > Nick Hodge wrote...
    > >You can't realy switch it off. You are right about pre-formatting, but
    > >that obviously doesn't work for you. You could put a single apostrophe
    > >(') in front of the data before importing. If this import is a csv file
    > >format, try taking off the extension and then opening via file open in
    > >Excel.

    > >This will invoke the text import wizard and you can select to mark the
    > >column as data in the wizard. If this is repetitive, you can record a
    > >macro to run it each time

    > For CSV files, another alternative would be using Data > Import
    > External Data > Import Data, which will launch the text import wizard just
    > after the user selects a CSV file. However, this would import the file
    > *into* the active workbook rather than opening the CSV file as a separate
    > workbook.

    Ahhhhh, the Import Wizard!!! Yes, that's it! Some control at last.
    Like with Nick, I use the Wizard for stuff like Access. I guess since
    Excel just automatically opened CSV files I never considered that I
    would be able to load them manually. Nice.

    Thanks Harlan and Nick!

    Kevin