Exponential Function Problem

  1. #1
    Bernie Hunt
    Guest

    Exponential Function Problem

    I've run into a problem I don't understand using power functions. I've only
    done limited work with powers in Excel, but I've run into a problem with
    this formula;

    =(-0.01^ (2/3))

    This returns #Num

    I tried to reformat to
    =POWER(-0.01, (2/3))

    and still get the same #Num.

    I split the exponent into
    =((-0.01^ (2))^(1/3))
    and this works.

    Why don't the first two formats work?

    Thanks,
    Bernie

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Exponential Function Problem

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:57:20 -0800, Bernie Hunt <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've run into a problem I don't understand using power functions. I've only
    >done limited work with powers in Excel, but I've run into a problem with
    >this formula;
    >
    >=(-0.01^ (2/3))
    >
    >This returns #Num
    >
    >I tried to reformat to
    >=POWER(-0.01, (2/3))
    >
    >and still get the same #Num.
    >
    >I split the exponent into
    >=((-0.01^ (2))^(1/3))
    >and this works.
    >
    >Why don't the first two formats work?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bernie

    Look at HELP for operator precedence.

    Unless instructed by the use of parentheses, Excel will evaluate the negation
    operator prior to the exponentiation operator.

    In your first two examples, you are trying to computing the exponent of a
    negative number. My limited math background leads me to believe that the
    example you give would result in an irrational number. But I'm sure others
    more knowledgeable will chime in

    In your last example, you are squaring the negative number first (which gives a
    positive number) and then taking the root of that positive number.

    --ron