Racing League needs help

  1. #1

    Racing League needs help

    Hey there everyone. I'll start off letting you know I know very little, and I mean very little, about excel. I use a couple of very basic pages at work that were set-up by others. I need some help and this seems like a good place to ask.

    I help run a series in a nascar sim racing league. I am running a long season and I want to have a "virtual" monetary reward system.

    I have 36 set dollar figures to be awarded by finishing place . I have a variable amount of drivers(need to be able to add new ones easily). I would love it if I could just input what what place the driver finished in and have it know the dollar figure and add it to his balance. Hope that makes sense.

    If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Many people have told me how easy it is to do but none of them have done it. LOL Please reply and I can provide any info or help I can.

    Thanks,

    Loco
    Last edited by Locomotion; 03-15-2006 at 07:50 PM.

  2. #2
    George
    Guest

    Re: Racing League needs help

    The formula you need is VLOOKUP
    First of all create a table with 'Place' and 'Prize Money' (2 columns)
    either off to the side or on a completely new sheet (preferred)
    Then NAME that range 'Prizes'
    Make sure its sorted by place. Row 1 = 1st place, Rows 36 = 36th place

    Then lets assume the following
    Row 1 has Headings, Data starts in Row 2
    Column A : Driver Name
    Column B : Place (they finished)
    Column C : Prize Money (these will be formulas)

    In C2 type =VLOOKUP(B2,Prizes,2)
    Copy this formula down

    Hope it helps
    George

  3. #3
    Thank you very much. I'll try as I get time over the next couple of days. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how I make out.

    Loco