Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Re: How do I setup a cell in Excel as a checkbox w/o a form/active

  1. #1
    Roger T.
    Guest

    Re: How do I setup a cell in Excel as a checkbox w/o a form/active

    Dave,

    When I try to enter the alt-2052; nothing appears in the text box. Any
    guesses ast to what I might be doing wrong? I've tried pasting in ü;ü;ü;ü
    from at text file, and from the Windows character map, but those don't seem
    to have the desired effect.

  2. #2

    Re: How do I setup a cell in Excel as a checkbox w/o a form/active

    alt-0252, not alt-2052

    Don't forget to format the cell as wingdings.

  3. #3
    Roger T.
    Guest

    Re: How do I setup a cell in Excel as a checkbox w/o a form/active

    Thanks Dave. That works. Turns out I had two problems:

    1. The alt key on my laptop is not configured like that of most "regular"
    keyboards. When I press the alt key, no text is written to the screen. I
    attached an external one to work around this problem.

    2. I didn't understand that the checkmark only shows up AFTER the user
    presses the enter key.

    So now I have another question: How do I sum (count) the number of boxes
    checked in a column?

  4. #4

    Re: How do I setup a cell in Excel as a checkbox w/o a form/active

    I see the u-umlaut in the formulabar as soon as I let go of the alt key. The
    checkmark appears in the cell, then, too.

    if there's nothing else in that range:
    =counta(a1:a10)

    If there might be someother stuff in that range:
    =countif(a1:a10,char(252))

  5. #5
    Roger T.
    Guest

    Re: How do I setup a cell in Excel as a checkbox w/o a form/active

    Excellent! Thanks for your help!

Closed Thread