Can't open Excel files from folder

  1. #1
    Mark
    Guest

    Can't open Excel files from folder

    I have a user on our network who can not open files directly from her
    folder. She can open the files from within Excel. I have checked her
    network permissions and everything seems to be correct. I have also check
    the file assocation on the workstation and it too seems to be correct. Of
    course, have rebooted and remapped the nework drive on the workstation
    several times.

    She has been able to this in the past and it just started happening this
    morning. Nothing has changed on her workstation or the network.

    Here is the error message she gets:

    Cannot find the file 'S:\Finance\FileNameHere.xls' (or one of its

    components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all
    required libraries are available.

    FYI -- I checked the file association and it appears to be correct too.

    Any help is GREATLY appreicated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Can't open Excel files from folder

    Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
    the file in windows explorer:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  3. #3
    Mark
    Guest

    Re: Can't open Excel files from folder

    Thanks Dave!

    The Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) did the
    trick!

    news:[email protected]...