survey says

  1. #1
    Rick Merrill
    Guest

    survey says

    I want to tally up the results of a survey by putting a check mark or a "1" for
    every yes response in a Cell. But how do I take the sum of the bits? (ie. as if the end result were a binary number, "1111111111111" ?)

    I suppose I could use a push button!

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: survey says

    If the tally cell was A1, I guess you could just check the length of the
    data.

    =LEN(A1)

    If A1 contained 1111111111

    LEN(A1) = 10

    but I think you might be limited if you use 1s as it will be treated as a
    number and 20 1s would show as 1.11111111111111E+24

    Using "y"s might work better

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rick Merrill
    Guest

    Re: survey says

    Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:
    > If the tally cell was A1, I guess you could just check the length of the
    > data.
    >
    > =LEN(A1)
    >
    > If A1 contained 1111111111
    >
    > LEN(A1) = 10
    >
    > but I think you might be limited if you use 1s as it will be treated as a
    > number and 20 1s would show as 1.11111111111111E+24
    >
    > Using "y"s might work better
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Trevor
    >

    > "Rick Merrill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I want to tally up the results of a survey by putting a check mark or a "1"
    >>for
    >>every yes response in a Cell. But how do I take the sum of the bits?
    >>(ie. as if the end result were a binary number, "1111111111111" ?)
    >>
    >>I suppose I could use a push button!

    Thank you, Trevor, that's perfect!

  4. #4
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: survey says

    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.