de-identifying medical record number in a patient database

  1. #1

    de-identifying medical record number in a patient database

    Right now, each patient is identified with their medical record number.
    We could go and manually input an 001 next to any record with the
    Medical Record# XXXXXXXXX and 002 for any Medical Record# YYYYYYYYY.
    But that would take quite a while. Do you know of another method that
    would be more efficient, and less prone to human error?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: de-identifying medical record number in a patient database

    Perhaps something along these lines ..

    Assuming the medical records are in A1 down

    Put in B1:
    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("XXXXXXXXX",A1)),"001-"&A1,
    IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("YYYYYYYYY",A1)),"002-"&A1,""))

    Copy B1 down

    Adapt to suit ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: de-identifying medical record number in a patient database

    Alternatively, if we wanted to assign
    a "unique" sequential numeric prefix to the records in col A

    then we could put instead in B1:
    =TEXT(ROW(A1),"000")&"-"&A1
    and copy B1 down

    Col B will return: