when opening a .xls file it seems to want to open in word, what d

  1. #1
    deniseh
    Guest

    when opening a .xls file it seems to want to open in word, what d

    When I attempt to open an Excel file (not through Excel) by double cliccking
    on file, the default appears to be word, so cannot read file correctly.
    Please advise what I have to do to make sure correct extension is read to
    open file correctl;y.
    Thankyou
    Denise

  2. #2
    ewan7279
    Guest

    RE: when opening a .xls file it seems to want to open in word, what d

    Denise,

    You should always try and open Excel files within Excel or from explorer.
    Why would you want to open an Excel file in Word?

    Ewan.

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: when opening a .xls file it seems to want to open in word, what d

    Hi

    Go to My Computer and click on C drive. Go to Tools/Folder Options/File Type
    tab. In that list there must be an entry for .xls If you click on Change,
    you can set the program to open it with from there.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    deniseh
    Guest

    RE: when opening a .xls file it seems to want to open in word, wha

    Sorry, maybe my question is not very clear, it isn't me trying to open an
    Excel file in Word, but that when I try to open an Excel file, say as an
    attachment in Outlook the default appears as Word not Excel. It is as though
    the file is being read as a .doc file not .xls.
    Thanks for your time
    Regards
    Denise

  5. #5
    ewan7279
    Guest

    RE: when opening a .xls file it seems to want to open in word, wha

    Sorry Denise - didn't understand. Andy's solution should do the trick.