prompt user to change source of links

  1. #1
    Bobak
    Guest

    prompt user to change source of links

    I have an Excel based reporting pack that is linked to an Excel file
    containing the data for my reports. The name of the Excel data file is
    changed at least twice a week and saved as a new version with a date suffix.

    When i open my report file I want make the user select the most recent
    version of the data file by changing links to this file and updating them. Is
    there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: prompt user to change source of links

    Please describe the particular convention as to how the new filename is
    structured each week. ........is it something like "DataFile_030306", and
    "DataFile_031006", etc etc?..........something that Excel can predict based
    on today's date.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Bobak
    Guest

    RE: prompt user to change source of links

    There would be no way to predict the name - I would like Excel to display the
    explorer structure to enable the user to select a file.

  4. #4

    Re: prompt user to change source of links

    Maybe you could just train them to use edit|links--
    or use a macro to show that dialog:

    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpenLinks).Show

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: prompt user to change source of links

    Jim Cone has a nice Add-in that may be of help to list the files in a
    directory and allow you to select the one you want...........it's called
    ListFiles and is available at
    http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware/

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,