A formula for displaying the cell reference of the selected cell

  1. #1
    Emlou85 via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    A formula for displaying the cell reference of the selected cell

    I have drawn a keyboard in excel (B1 is note C, C2 is note D etc). The user
    is told to click on the note
    E. I then have an If statement that says if cell A2 displays D1 (ie note E)
    then to say 'well done that is correct' and if not then display 'wrong have
    another go'. My problem is getting a formula in A2 which displays what has
    been selected, so the If statement can work!

    Emma

  2. #2
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: A formula for displaying the cell reference of the selected cell

    Hi Emma,
    as far as I know there isn't a formula that will place the selected
    cell's value into A1.
    However, if you copy the code below, then right click that worksheet's
    Sheet Tab a popup contextual menu appears.
    Select "View Code" then paste the copied code into the Sheet's code
    module, which is the large white space just below the headings
    "(General)" on the left and "(Declarations)" on the right.
    Then go Alt + F11 to get back to the worksheet.
    Every time you select a different cell on hat sheet the code is run and
    the value in A1 will be the value in the selected cell.

    Cells(1, 1) = Target.Value
    End Sub

    Ken Johnson

  3. #3
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: A formula for displaying the cell reference of the selected cell

    Emma

    I think you will have to use a macro. Assuming the keyboard is in Sheet 1,
    the Sheet 1 Class Module needs the following Selection Change code:

    ' Sheet 1 Class Module
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Range("A2") = Target.Address(False, False)
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    Whenever a cell is selected, its address will be put into cell A2

    Regards

    Trevor

  4. #4
    Emlou85 via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: A formula for displaying the cell reference of the selected cell

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Emma