Macro drive problem

  1. #1
    Bobak
    Guest

    Macro drive problem

    I have written a macro that opens a number of workbooks from a network drive
    using Excel. I would like this macro to be used by a number of users. However
    users have the drive name on different letters eg on my computer A:\network
    drive\file.xls but on colleagues it is B:\network drive\file.xls Can I get
    the macro to be dynamic and point to the drive name rather than use the
    letter as it returns an error unless the drive is on the same letter name as
    I have written in the macro

    Regards

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Macro drive problem

    If I were you I should st up a parameter sheet containing user names and
    drive letters:

    A B
    Name Letter
    user_1 X
    user_2 Y
    user_n Z

    The macro should be informed of the actual user name (e.g. via an input box
    in Workbook_open event procedure), then the filename to be opened can be
    composed

    filetoopen=VLOOKUP("user_n",A1:B5,2,FALSE)&":\"&network_map_name&"\"&"file.xls"

    Column B could contain Letter+network_map together if it is more suitable
    for the case:

    user_1 X:\network_map\

    In this case composing the filename is simpler:

    filetoopen=VLOOKUP("user_n",A1:B5,2,FALSE)&"file.xls"

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Bobak” ezt *rta:

  3. #3

    Re: Macro drive problem

    You can use the UNC Path in your open statement:

    dim wkbk as workbook
    set wkbk = workbooks.open(filename:="\\server\folder\folder\filename.xls")