Help! Newbie

  1. #1

    Help! Newbie

    HI everyone. Newbie here. I have an easy question.lol I hope it is easy but it is hard for me. I know how to do very basic excel formulas, however this one threw me for a loop. =SUM(A1-1)

    5 - A1
    how do I tell it to subtract from 10 rather than one it should continue
    I need for it to wrap back to A-1

    I will use 4 digits (cells) and enter different numbers and the first one can be 0. If I enter 1234 in cells A1,B1,C1,D1 these should be the result. I used some if statements but it didn't work.

    Example

    Thanks for your help.

    tenaj

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Help! Newbie

    Hi!

    A......B......C......D
    1.......2......3.......4

    Enter this formula in A2 and copy across to D2:

    =IF(A1=0,9,A1-1)

    Then select A2:D2 and copy down as needed.

    Biff

    "tenaj" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Help! Newbie

    One way:

    A2: =MOD(A1-1,10)

    Copy across and down as required.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    Thank you guys for helping out.

    I used this formula first, and got exactly what I asked for. Thank you

    =IF(A1=0,9,A1-1)

    5 5 5 5
    4 4 4 4
    3 3 3 3
    2 2 2 2
    1 1 1 1
    0 0 0 0
    9 9 9 9
    8 8 8 8
    7 7 7 7
    6 6 6 6
    5 5 5 5

    However there are two columns (The second column is Subtract 1 first number, subtract 2 second number, subtract 3 third number and subtract 4 fourth number. I copied the formula to the right side and just changed the -1 to corresponding columns. When you subtract 2,3 and 4 the If statement doesn't work for subtracting 2,3,4. It appears that other criteria need to be set for - example if the number is 3 and you are subtracting 4, the next number should be 9. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

    Example of 5555 on the right column should be. the first digit subtract 1, second 2, third 3, fourth 4 and it should wrap back around to 5555.

    The formula for subtracting one =IF(A1=0,9,A1-1) works fine. But say the number is 2 and you are on the 3 column subtracting 3, the next numbers should be 9 and it doesn't know to do that.

    Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by tenaj; 03-22-2006 at 03:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Help! Newbie

    Not sure I understand what you want but try this modified version of JE's
    formula:

    =MOD(A1-COLUMNS($A:A),10)

    Copy across then down.

    Will return this: