How can I save an Excel file which says it's a Read only to a CD?

  1. #1
    Cindy Who
    Guest

    How can I save an Excel file which says it's a Read only to a CD?

    Under File/ Properties/ General tab for this worksheet the "Read Only" box is
    not checked. The Archive box is checked, however, that whole section is
    ghosted and I can not change anything. I am using Office, Student and
    Teacher Edition 2003. I'm trying to copy this file to a CD but keep getting
    the error message that it is a Read Only file and cannot be copied.

  2. #2
    dlw
    Guest

    RE: How can I save an Excel file which says it's a Read only to a CD?

    Is it maybe saying the CD is read-only, not the file? Is it a CD-RW CD, or
    just CD-R? Do you have a CD burner? Have you formatted the CD to be
    read-write?

    The properties you are looking at, (read only, archive, etc) can be changed
    by right clicking on the file name and going into properties. But that will
    not solve your problem, a read-only file can be copied.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Also - If you opened the file ON THE CD and then modified the file - you will get the "ERROR MESSAGE" you referenced in you question. You need to save the revised file to your DESKTOP or some place other than the CD - then you should be able to copy it from the desktop back to the CD.