Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

  1. #1
    nastech
    Guest

    Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    Hi, don't know what is wrong, small question?? ugh
    have equations involved, but simple version also shows as in same cell:

    170<186,000 comes up TRUE

    but when have in separate cells: 170 in U14 & 186000 in U15
    =U14<U15 comes up FALSE

    =U14>U15 comes up TRUE cannot figure out problem

    (right click all cells format: number, same each / paste formats over each
    other, no change...)

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    Hi!

    U14 is probably TEXT. It can still be TEXT even though Format>Cells is set
    to NUMBER.

    Try this:

    =ISTEXT(U14)
    =ISNUMBER(U14)

    Select an empty cell. Make sure this cell has not been preformatted and its
    format is the default GENERAL.
    Goto Edit>Copy
    Select cell U14
    Goto Edit>Paste Special>Add
    OK

    Did that straighten things out?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    Thanks!! what is the add, step, doing? never would have got that. Seems
    like that should not happen, or should be transparent for Text / Number
    Status... (maybe good for a geez whats up list, would appear to have been a
    prob for awhile).

    Anyways it would seem to be technicallly different than what doing in a
    major equation using. (example proofed to work, this example in cell BT9,
    for quantity of shares to buy.. BT5 $-IN, bc bd cb are embedded inputs, but
    Question is for the TEXT option used. Should I use an ISNUMBER instead or in
    addition to? Else answer might be to use ISNumber in other equations that
    refer to this cell.
    please excuse long example:
    DO I NEED TO CHANGE THIS EQUATION? (if recall, was given TEXT choices to
    get formatting..) Thanks.

    =IF(OR(AND(BC9="",BD9="",CB9=""),AND(BC9="",OR($BT$2="fm",EXACT(F9,"B")))),"",IF($BT$5>=1000,TEXT(TRUNC((

    $BT$5/IF(OR($BT$2="fm",EXACT(F9,"B"),AND(BC9<>"",BD9="")),BC9,IF(BD9<>"",BD9,IF(OR(CB9={"",0}),"",CB9)))/1000),2),"0.00"),TEXT((

    $BT$5/IF(OR($BT$2="fm",EXACT(F9,"B"),AND(BC9<>"",BD9="")),BC9,IF(BD9<>"",BD9,IF(OR(CB9={"",0}),"",CB9)))),"#,##0")))

  4. #4
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    P.S. are you saying I Should.. or Can format cells used for formula's /
    calculations as: General? thanks

  5. #5
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    trying to apply to cells related to equations using seems to wipe out all
    cond. formatting. Is this something I have to do.. / to start over in a
    column to verify all cells working? thanks

    - cell long equation (cond. formatting refers to.. x) has custom formatting
    set:
    ,,#.0 (for some reason excel changes to: #.0,, )
    that is spot where equation is not functioning

  6. #6
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    Hi, seems to be 99% working.. works this situation as column is a calculated
    field (non-issue in a text column with cond. formatting referring to other
    items? as would not occur?),

    the thing I see as very odd is that procedure added a +0 (plus zero)
    directly to the end of my long equation. For now will assume that is ok / is
    the ultimate fix/ answer...

  7. #7
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    update fix was for cond. formatting to work, pasting a format free /
    general format cell, as paste-special-add to fix cell, fixed conditional
    formatting to start to work. Equation in cell stopped working as a (...)+0
    was placed around entire formula, (which seemed negate the ? Not/ filter
    prefix being used in formula), therefore when source cells empty, Value
    Errors show up with complet columns having ##### sign errors in column.
    Only conclusion is not sure what best choice is, including using xl...
    unless I missed something else?

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    It "sounds" like you have a real mess on your hands!

    Unfortunately, you've lost me! I can't follow what you're doing.

  9. #9
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    060326/7: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped. thanks in advance.
    hope not too much detail, questions are: for PROCEDURE: (good proc?)

    Select empty cell. Make sure cell not preformatted (no what?),
    and format is default GENERAL.
    Goto Edit>Copy, select destination cell; Edit>Paste Special>Add

    DOES PREFORMATTING / DEFAULT FORMATTING Include hi-liting whole column?
    Does that Negate any signle cell changes to default to what column is??

    what is the add doing (addition?)
    if that is for formatting.. how should I set up my equation, in the first
    place:
    example here, don't worry about what is doing besides converting to a format
    to read either: "0.00" or "#,##0"

    is there a way to get those choices, without having cell treated as text?
    as it stands, doing PROCEDURE the top line below (IF(OR etc true, then ""
    nothing, does not function), but peculiar: adds to equation =(IF.... )+0

    OTHERWISE: formula works, but cond. formatting does not recognize as
    numbers?? Would that be the answer: to get cond. format to have isnumber(
    added? (could not get that to work)

    (merely chooses between >1000, and output to show as 1k= 1.0)

  10. #10
    nastech
    Guest

    Re: Less than/ Greater than logic flipped

    Hi, found what might be answer, along with your info that also helpd.. thank
    you very much: value(...)