How do I save a Word file as an ASCII format?

  1. #1
    Laurie
    Guest

    How do I save a Word file as an ASCII format?

    I have a Rich Text Format file that I need to save as an ASCII format file.
    I am using Word 2003.

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: How do I save a Word file as an ASCII format?

    Click FILE on the menu, select SAVE AS and change the file type to Plain Text.

    Next time you might want to post a Word question in the Word forum, you'll
    find the response much better there too.
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Laurie
    Guest

    RE: How do I save a Word file as an ASCII format?

    I've done that and then I lose some of the formatting. Is there a way to
    convert to ASCII without losing the format?

    I looked for the WORD FORUM but only saw on for EXCEL.

    Thanks for your help

  4. #4
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: How do I save a Word file as an ASCII format?

    An ASCII file is just a plain text file, formatting, fonts selection, and all
    other attributes are ignored and what you get is plain text in 10 pitch
    courier. Saving at text w/Layout would keep the general layout of the
    document fairly intact, but you would still lose bold, italic and other
    formatting selections.

    --
    Kevin Backmann

  5. #5
    Laurie
    Guest

    RE: How do I save a Word file as an ASCII format?

    So where do I find the text w/Layout option? I don't see it in my trial
    version of 2003.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    It is strange logic that would consider posting an MS Word question in an Excel user forum for the reasons stated.

    try

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...xp=&sloc=en-us

    which will point you to a number of Word discussion groups, one of which may better explain why a text only format file does not retain non-text attributes.

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie