Pivot Table Grouping by Quarters

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    London

    Pivot Table Grouping by Quarters

    I have a pivot table, which has dates as one of the fields. I have grouped these dates, by month and also by quaters.

    Is there a way that when dates are grouped by quarters, you can select which month is included in which quarter.

    Excel defaults that January, February, March are Quater 1, April, May, June are Quarter 2 and so on.

    I want August, September, October as Quarter 1, November, December, January as Quarter 2 and so on.

    My data is coming from an Oracle database, so I can't do anything with the source data, unless I use a decode function within the SQL query.

    Anyone have any ideas?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    varying months in quarters

    I suggest you create a lookup table and then any data will return the quarter you require. You will only need 12 or 13 dates in a column eg jan 1 feb 1 etc and in column 2 put appropriate quarter.

  3. #3

    Re: Pivot Table Grouping by Quarters

    I always use an extra column in the original data to return my adjusted quarter
    numbers. But it sounds like you can't do that.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    If the returned data set is less than 65k rows you could use 'get external data' to extract the rows into a worksheet, create a new date column and then build your pivot table from that worksheet's data. Use the 'adjacent column formula' functionality to auto poulate the column value

    Here the default financial year starts on 1 July.
    Using this as an example, add an extra column to the data with a value of the real date plus 184 days. Then 1 July 2005 becomes 1 Jan 2006 in the new column. The when you group by the date in the new column "Year 2006 Q1" would include all transactions with an original date between 1 July 05 and 30 Sept 05. Depending on how the date arithmetic works out you may need to add months rather than days.

    If you can get a change done to the Oracle view you can use syntax like (dateAcct + 184) AS QuarterDate .. or the month equivalent .. to create the relevant values in a new column in the view and then hit the data directly.

    regards..