How would you manage these dates?

  1. #1
    JMF
    Guest

    How would you manage these dates?

    I'm back, after posting just a couple of hours ago about "old" dates and
    getting great help.

    Now I know more about what my friend is trying to do, and I'm intrigued by
    the problem and am wondering how a real clever expert, like in this group,
    would handle it.

    She's archiving historical letters and using an Excel file. So she's got
    rows with the topic, who wrote it, who received it, the date, etc. Let's
    ignore the problem of "old" dates now and assume they're all after 1900.

    Here's the tricky part: she's not sure about some dates.

    This is classical, of course, in archival. For example:

    1933? means "we think it was written in 1933 but we're not sure"

    193? means "we know it was in the 1930s, but we're not sure which
    year"

    10/09/1934? means "we think it was that date but we're not sure"

    Now, of course, you can imagine what happens when you try to put those as
    dates into Excel.

    Yet, she would still like to be able to sort by dates, etc. so somehow it
    would be nice, and important, to preserve the "date-ness" of those date
    entries.

    So what to do?

    It seems to me that there's no way around having more than one item per
    date: The date itself, whereby you use some system to "guess" the date where
    there is a question mark, and somehow some other item that records the
    uncertainty in some way -- I don't know, like another column where it says
    "sure/unsure" (although that isn't general enough).

    Anybody have any insights? Perhaps one of you has dealt with something
    similar?

    Thanks,

    John

  2. #2
    colin
    Guest

    RE: How would you manage these dates?

    Hi,

    I think you are looking at this the right way....You Need Three Columns
    Decade,Year,Date

    these columns can then be filtered

    decade, No Year, No Date
    Decade,Year, No date
    Decade, Year, date

    The way to populate the fields would be to filter based on the original
    column containing "?" and it should be fairly easy to determine if it is
    decade or year that you need to populate.

    If you are taking thousands of records then you need to look at the LEN
    worksheet function for determining if the year is three or four characters.

    Hope that this is of use

    Rgds

    Colin

  3. #3
    Ron P
    Guest

    Re: How would you manage these dates?

    "JMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uPq%[email protected]...
    > I'm back, after posting just a couple of hours ago about "old" dates and
    > getting great help.
    >
    > Now I know more about what my friend is trying to do, and I'm intrigued by
    > the problem and am wondering how a real clever expert, like in this group,
    > would handle it.
    >
    > She's archiving historical letters and using an Excel file. So she's got
    > rows with the topic, who wrote it, who received it, the date, etc. Let's
    > ignore the problem of "old" dates now and assume they're all after 1900.
    >
    > Here's the tricky part: she's not sure about some dates.
    >
    > This is classical, of course, in archival. For example:
    >
    > 1933? means "we think it was written in 1933 but we're not sure"
    >
    > 193? means "we know it was in the 1930s, but we're not sure which
    > year"
    >
    > 10/09/1934? means "we think it was that date but we're not sure"
    >
    > Now, of course, you can imagine what happens when you try to put those as
    > dates into Excel.
    >
    > Yet, she would still like to be able to sort by dates, etc. so somehow it
    > would be nice, and important, to preserve the "date-ness" of those date
    > entries.
    >
    > So what to do?
    >
    > It seems to me that there's no way around having more than one item per
    > date: The date itself, whereby you use some system to "guess" the date
    > where there is a question mark, and somehow some other item that records
    > the uncertainty in some way -- I don't know, like another column where it
    > says "sure/unsure" (although that isn't general enough).
    >
    > Anybody have any insights? Perhaps one of you has dealt with something
    > similar?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    You could use a helper column alongside the dates and have codes in it such
    as "verified" , "unverified". "approx year", "decade" etc to suit your
    situation.