Match words - Conditional Formatting

  1. #1

    Match words - Conditional Formatting

    I want to fill a cell with color if it contains a word that contain letters that I specify. For example words then end with letter "s".

    Wildcard search doesn't seem to work?

    What is the formula to use?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Match words - Conditional Formatting

    use conditional formatting and formula is

    =RIGHT(A1)="s"

    click the format button and pattern and select the colour

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    "KH_GS" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Match words - Conditional Formatting

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:29:29 -0600, KH_GS
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I want to fill a cell with color if it contains a word that contain
    >letters that I specify. For example words then end with letter "s".
    >
    >Wildcard search doesn't seem to work?
    >
    >What is the formula to use?

    If the cell only contains one word, then:

    =RIGHT(cell_ref,1)="s"

    --ron

  4. #4
    hmm what if it is a phrase and I want to check every word in the phrase?

    Is is necessary to manually delimit them by space first then run the conditional format on each column?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld

  5. #5
    How to set the argument for the "=right" so that it is within the cells of my selection?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peo Sjoblom

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Match words - Conditional Formatting

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:02:15 -0600, KH_GS
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hmm what if it is a phrase and I want to check every word in the
    >phrase?

    See Below

    >Is is necessary to manually delimit them by space first then run the
    >conditional format on each column?

    No

    =OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("s ",cell_ref)),RIGHT(cell_ref,1)="s")

    --ron

  7. #7
    =OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("d ",$C:$C)), RIGHT($C:$C,1)="d")

    doesn't seem to work?

    Column C
    apple
    fruit
    tree
    apple
    fruit
    tree
    forest
    road
    road
    road
    road
    test
    test
    tree
    car
    car
    tree
    test
    car
    apple

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Match words - Conditional Formatting

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 02:26:05 -0600, KH_GS
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >=OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("d ",$C:$C)), RIGHT($C:$C,1)="d")
    >

    >doesn't seem to work?
    >

    >Column C
    >apple
    >fruit
    >tree
    >apple
    >fruit
    >tree
    >forest
    >road
    >road
    >road
    >road
    >test
    >test
    >tree
    >car
    >car
    >tree
    >test
    >car
    >apple

    It does not work because you entered cell_ref incorrectly. Cell_ref needs to
    refer to a single cell.

    You can enter it by, for example, selecting C1:C100 but, when you enter the
    formula, enter

    =OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("d ",C1)),RIGHT(C1,1)="d")

    Excel will adjust the reference to refer to each cell.

    OR, you can enter in just a single cell, with the appropriate reference to that
    cell, and then use the format painter.

    --ron