Finding cells with a specific number of characters

  1. #1
    Kamran
    Guest

    Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    I'm trying to find all the cells in a column that have more than 250
    characters. I've tried using Data>Filter>Advanced, but haven't been able to
    figure it out. I appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    In a blank column next to your data, enter the following formula
    and copy down as far as you need to go.

    =LEN(A1)>250

    This will return TRUE and FALSE values. Now, auto-filter on TRUE.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    If you want to use Advanced Filter...here's how:

    Assuming your list begins in A6, with the column heading in A5
    Example:
    A5: TextField
    A6: Some text of variable length that may or may not exceed 250 chars
    etc

    Then:
    A1: LenTest
    A2: =LEN(A6)>250

    Next: Select your text values A5 through the bottom of the list
    <Data><Filter><Advanced Filter>
    Uncheck: Copy to another location
    Uncheck: Unique records only
    List Range: (already selected)
    Criterial Range: $A$1:$A$2
    Click the [OK] button

    You should now see only cells that are longer than 250 chars.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Kamran
    Guest

    RE: Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    I appreciate the replies, but I've been unable to make it work. My data is
    in column F, heading in F1, data starting in F2. Using the suggested formula
    [in my case, =LEN(F2)>250], it hides all rows, I think because cell A6 has
    less than 250 char and therefore the criterion is not met. Shouldn't it be
    checking the F column independently for every row, e.g., =LEN(F2)>250,
    =LEN(F3)>250, =LEN(F4)>250 ?
    The only way I've been able to make it work is to copy the F column heading
    into a blank column, and the enter 250 question marks into the cell below and
    use that for the Advanced Filter.

  5. #5
    Kamran
    Guest

    Re: Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    Thanks, Chip. After several unsuccessful trials, I finally realized that the
    column with the LEN statements had to be "next" to the one with the data I'm
    analyzing. It worked.

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    It works so you must have applied it incorrectly, you need to have a header,
    if you want to filter in place it's easier if you insert a couple of empty
    rows at the top, also make sure that the criteria includes 2 cells, one
    empty above and the one with the formula below so if the formula is in H2
    use H1:H2 for the criteria. Or you can use Chips method copying the formula
    down in a help column and filter autofilter on that help column

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Finding cells with a specific number of characters

    It doesn't have to be next to the column with the data but it needs to have
    a filter applied to it and it is easier to use if it is next to it

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com