Auto Cell Color

  1. #1
    Chuckers
    Guest

    Auto Cell Color

    Hello.
    I I keep track of my bowling teams statistics. I type the scores in
    columns C thru E rows 3 to 34. I have the formula for average in column H3
    thru H34. When I type the scores in, I would like the color of the text to
    be red for scores under average, black for scores from the average to 199,
    and green from 200 and above. Is there anyway to do this automatically? I
    am a new user.
    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    Take a look at Conditional Formatting on the Format menu.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chuckers
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    Yes, I looked at that and tried a few things but couldn't figure out the
    formula. Is there a place to learn about this?
    Thank you.

  4. #4

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    You could start with Excel's Help
    or Debra Dalgleish's site:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

  5. #5
    Chuckers
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    Thanks very much. I think I've got it. I was able to do it for one row at a
    time. I couldn't figure out how to all rows at the same time.

  6. #6

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    If you select the whole range, you can write your format|conditional formatting
    formula based on the activecell.

    Excel will adjust the range--just like it does when you copy a formula down a
    column.

    If you select A1:Z99 (say)
    and use this as your conditional formatting formula:
    =$a1>6

    It'll adjust the row for each row in that range (and won't adjust the column).

  7. #7
    Chuckers
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    Thank you, Thank you, thank you.
    I selected cells C4 thru E34, I used condition 1, cell value is-greater
    than-199,format green
    condition 2, formula is C4<H3,format red
    anything else is black.
    worked like a charm.

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    Yes but it would be better to select the cells that you want to be affected first
    i.e. entire columns, rather than coping formatting afterwards.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9
    Chuckers
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    Yes, I played around with it some more and what I ended up doing is selecting
    all the cells and for condition 1: Formula is - =C3<ROUNDDOWN($H2,0) - format
    red and condition 2: Cell Value is - >= 200 - format green.

    Thank you very much for the reply.

  10. #10
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Auto Cell Color

    and that was with C3 as your active cell when you entered the formula, right,
    because the active cell is the key to formula usage.