Excel 2003 opens slowly

  1. #1
    Willie_D.
    Guest

    Excel 2003 opens slowly

    I'm having a problem with Excel 2003. For one of my users, Excel 2003 takes
    60-63 seconds to open. The rest of the suite, Word, Powerpont, etc... opens
    almost instantly. What's the deal here? I appreciate any suggestions. I have
    already deleted her local roaming profile and copied the roaming profile back
    down to her pc with no change. If I us a different pc, the problem still
    exists.
    --
    WillieD

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 opens slowly

    Just a thought but the *.xlb (Toolbar customisation file) doesn't get
    deleted if you uninstall and reinstall, though not sure if it would have
    gone if you deleted the profile. It used to get bloated and cause problems,
    but got fixed in the last release or so, but who knows, may be worth a try.
    You would have to search in hidden files and folders. if you delete it
    Excel will just create a new one anyway.

    You could also try these:-

    Opening/Saving Bottlenecks (Charles Williams)
    http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm#OpSave

    Troubleshoot Startup Problems(MS):

    Some tips on overcoming slow response (David McRitchie)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Willie_D.
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 opens slowly

    Thanks Ken but that didn't work for me. Here's what I found to resolve this
    problem. I had to go into the users roaming profile on the server, open
    Application Data\"username"\Microsoft\Excel and delete the whole Excel file.
    There were a bunch of 10K files with alphabet names including the Excel.xlb
    file you mentioned. Once I deleted the Excel folder and deleted the local
    copy of the roaming profile on the pc. Excel started working like a champ.
    Thanks for your input though!
    --
    WillieD

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 opens slowly

    No problem, cheers for letting me know what worked.

    Regards