Dates with Holidays question

  1. #1
    HJ
    Guest

    Dates with Holidays question

    I am trying to set up a date schedule but am not sure of the best way to
    incorporate holidays. For example, my start date is 12/25/05. I need to add
    a formula that takes 12/25/05 plus 90 days but if that date falls on a
    Saturday or Sunday, the returned date needs to be Monday. The end result
    would be 3/27/06. But, I also need to say that if the end date (3/27/06 in
    my example) falls on a holiday, I need to go to the next date but again if
    that date falls on a Saturday, need to go to Monday.

    I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: Dates with Holidays question

    Hi HJ,
    One solution is to use the WORKDAY function. You'll need to have installed
    the Analysis ToolPak, if not installed. Go to Tools > Add-ins... check
    Analysis ToolPak and then click OK. This action will install among other
    things the WORKDAY function.
    Then, with a date in cell A1, put this code in A2:

    =WORKDAY(A1+90,1,G1:G10)

    This formula says to take the date in A1 and add 90 days to it. Then take
    the next workday by looking past Saturdays and Sundays. The "1" in the
    formula refers to the next workday. The last range entry, G1:G10, is just an
    example and refers to a group of cells in which you enter the holidays that
    you wish to use. If you want to use eight holidays, enter those dates in a
    group of unused cells and refer to that range in your formula.

    Ken Hudson