How do I stop Book 1 opening with existing files?

  1. #1
    sirbob
    Guest

    How do I stop Book 1 opening with existing files?

    Whenever I open an existing Excel file, a Book 1 sheet opens also. Does
    anyone know how to stop this happening, please?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver

    XLStart Directory

    Book1 is probably saved in your XLStart Directory in your Excel folder.

    Locate this directory and delete the file.

    Also check if you have an alternative startup directory set.

    Click Tools > Options > General

  3. #3
    sirbob
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Book 1 opening with existing files?

    Thanks for the suggested help. As you suggested I have searched for and
    found “XLSTART” in 2 locations, but both folders are empty with 0 bytes.

    I have also looked in Excel > Tools > Options > General, and the “At
    start-up open with” box is unchecked and there is no entry in the box

    I do not know how to tell whether I have an alternative Startup directory
    set, but I have searched the PC and found a number of Startup folders, none
    of which contain anything except a “desktop.ini” file.

    Unhappily the problem remains. Is there anything else that I can do, please?