Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Checkbook Register

  1. #1
    PurpleBabs
    Guest

    Checkbook Register

    I like using the checkbook register template in MS Excel, but I want two
    debit columns and two credit columns against the one balance column. I
    figured out how to copy the column, but it does not calculate in the balance
    column. How do you do that?

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Checkbook Register

    You would need to change the formula in the balance column to incorporate your
    two new columns.

    Presumably, the current formula is something like:

    =f2+d3-e3

    And you would need something like:

    =h2+d3+e3-f3-g3

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PurpleBabs
    Guest

    Re: Checkbook Register

    Thanks for responding, but that's not quite what I was looking for. The
    formula in the balance column is like this:
    "=IF(AND(ISBLANK(F9),ISBLANK(G9)),"",H8-F9+G9)" for a line that has a debit
    entry. Simply copying it and adding the added column does not work because
    now, for example, f and g are debit columns, h and i are credit columns, and
    j is now my balance column. I get all kinds of errors about logic, just
    clicking the columns won't enter them. So really, if you understand this
    formula, maybe you can just tell me how to make f and g debit h and i credit
    = to J, and no I am not trying to enter two debits or credits on one line,
    each line will have only one action from one of those four columns. So, what
    do you think. I hope this is clear.

  4. #4
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Checkbook Register

    If you added additional debit and credit columns, your formula would change to:

    =if(and(f9="",g9="",h9="",i9=""),"",h8-f9-g9+h9+i9)

    It's the same formula as I originally gave you, except you are using columns F
    to I, whereas I had used D to H.

    The f9="" is a shorter way of writing isblank(f9). It's checking to see if all
    four columns are blank. If so, nothing is displayed in the balance column.

  5. #5
    PurpleBabs
    Guest

    Re: Checkbook Register

    Thanks for this info, this helps some more, entering that 'isblank' is a
    trip. I will try the way you have it here. What is wrong with my formula
    (below) I did manage to enter. this is a credit entry in I10; J10 is the
    balance column where nothing happens when I tab past it.
    =IF(AND(ISBLANK(F10),ISBLANK(G10),ISBLANK(H10)),"",J9-F10-G10+H10+I10
    I really appreciate your help
    Barbara

  6. #6
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Checkbook Register

    Your formula should work, assuming you end it with two parentheses.

    Tabbing past a cell should have no effect. The cell should calculate as soon as
    you enter something in one of the debit or credit columns. Is your formula in
    cell J10?

    When you say 'I10 is a credit entry', do you want the number added to or
    subtracted from the balance? With your formula, you are adding it to the
    balance.

Closed Thread