Reading old files with excel or word 2000

  1. #1
    geoexcel
    Guest

    Reading old files with excel or word 2000

    I have several old MSMultiplanfiles and want to read them with word or
    excel2000. How can I do this.--
    geometeocalpe

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Whilst I have no experience with Multiplan, the Wikipedia entry suggests that your file would be something like text format, so you could try via Data, Import External Data, Import Data, locate the file, and set the delimiters to suit your data.

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by geoexcel

  3. #3
    geoexcel
    Guest

    Re: Reading old files with excel or word 2000

    I tried what you sugested. In Access I recieve the message : Unrecognized
    database format; in excel a delimited file is presented, but with all
    delimiters I receive squares and other not readable characters.
    Hoping for another solution, meanwhile thanks for your answer.
    --
    geometeocalpe

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Microsoft at
    suggests that you locate Multiplan and have the files converted to SYLK format, this will enable them to be read in Excel.

    A suggestion that a MIM file can be opened in WinZip:
    http://www-cdf.fnal.gov/upgrades/fro...ile_format.txt

    Or perhaps FoxPro is the way:
    http://search.microsoft.com/results....-US&FORM=QBME4

    Otherwise, perhaps you have a 'sample' file that was used in your early Multiplan testing, one that contains no personal data.

  5. #5
    geoexcel
    Guest

    Re: Reading old files with excel or word 2000

    Dear Bryan,
    Converting the files in SYLK format, I have read that, but my question : how
    do I make the conversion.
    If after your next help I can´t solve the problem I´sent you a couple of
    files.
    I´m pensionned and try to help busy scientist, in this case an hystorian, to
    solve their computerproblems.
    Many thanks,
    geometeocalpe

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Hi,

    I believe Microsoft suggested that you re-install the Multiplan program to do the conversion.

    If you have a file it would be interesting to see the format.

    __

  7. #7
    geoexcel
    Guest

    Re: Reading old files with excel or word 2000

    I just have the files, not the old software MSMultiplan.
    How can I sent you a file?
    --
    geometeocalpe

  8. #8
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Reading old files with excel or word 2000

    geoexcel wrote...
    >I have several old MSMultiplanfiles and want to read them with word or
    >excel2000. How can I do this.--

    If you don't have the Multiplan program on any available computers or
    the program disks from which to reinstall it, then you're going to have
    to search online auction sites to find a copy of Multiplan. The only
    alternative would be finding a copy of Excel 5 (originally released in
    1993), which came with a Multiplan file converter (according to the
    Microsoft Knowledgebase).

  9. #9
    geoexcel
    Guest

    Re: Reading old files with excel or word 2000

    Thanks, I ´ll look for an excel 5.

    --
    geometeocalpe