Lookup & Return Range of Data

  1. #1
    shehasclass
    Guest

    Lookup & Return Range of Data

    I have tried everything and cannot figure this out......

    I need to look up text in a range of data, and when a match is found,
    have Excel return the data in the 11 cells to the right of the match.
    It would be best if the match cell could be returned as well (making a
    total of 12 horizontal cells, e.g., A4:L4).

    Example:

    My formula will be entered in cell A2 of sheet 1.
    My data table will be in A5:L20 of sheet 2.

    Formula will say "if sheet 2 cell A5 is xxx, then return the contents
    of cells A5 THROUGH L5".

    I hope I am being clear. I've tried everything I can think of -
    vlookup, match, index. I can't figure out how to return the data from
    a range of cells. Help! Thank you.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Lookup & Return Range of Data

    In A2 put

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!$A$5:$L$20,COLUMNS($A$1:A1),0)),"no
    Match",VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!$A$5:$L$20,COLUMNS($A$1:A1),0))

    copy across to L2, replace A1 with either the value you looking up of a cell
    where you put the same value

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    shehasclass
    Guest

    Re: Lookup & Return Range of Data

    Thank you Peo. This worked for the first row (A2), but when I copy the
    formula down, each row returns the same info, rather than returning the
    info from the row where it is finding my value.

    Is this something to do with the absolute reference in this part of the
    formula: COLUMNS($A$1:A1) ?? The "A1" will change to "B1", etc., of
    course, as I copy it down, but the data returned is still the info from
    line A.