UK postcode distance calculation?

  1. #1
    Steve Hawkins
    Guest

    UK postcode distance calculation?

    Hi all, (new here so be gentle!),

    Can somebody tell me if there is a facility within Excel for calculating the
    distances between UK post codes. If not, is there an add on which will
    provide this facility (preferably freeware), or, failing that, is there a
    way to incorporate the calculating boxes from websites which provide this
    service into Excel?

    I'm a bit vague on the higher levels of what excel can do, but I'm sure
    somebody out there must be using it to do such calculations without having
    to go on line and work them all out individually, so how is it done?

    Much obliged for any useful suggestions,

    Regards,

    Steve_H

  2. #2
    Marcus Fox
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    "Steve Hawkins" <steve.a.hawkins@ntl(nospam)world.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, (new here so be gentle!),
    >
    > Can somebody tell me if there is a facility within Excel for calculating

    the
    > distances between UK post codes. If not, is there an add on which will
    > provide this facility (preferably freeware), or, failing that, is there a
    > way to incorporate the calculating boxes from websites which provide this
    > service into Excel?

    I don't think it is possible to do this, but should you for example obtain
    the latitude and longtitude of the two locations designated by the postcodes
    it is possible to do it that way.

    I have already (with some help) created a spreadsheet that will give the
    distance between two sets of lat/long coordinates.

    Marcus

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    Steve,

    I would suggest you get something like MS Autoroute. You may be able to get
    the 2001 version quite cheap but it wont know changes made since but this
    may not be significant. Set up a route between any PostCodes and calculate
    the distance (by road). Of course other route planners have the same
    facility. This may not be the answer but it is a workable solution.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  4. #4
    Steve Hawkins
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    Hi Marcus - that was quick!

    Sites such as Multimap and GoogleEarth are very helpful in finding routes
    and distances between points, for various transport modes. Multimap seems
    to manage whether postcode, conventional address, UK Grid reference or long
    and lat are entered - this would be the normal way for me to convert a post
    code into a long and lat.

    As these facilities seem to be getting more and more common I had hoped that
    whatever they used to enable such calculations would now be available to
    all - preferably with distances expressible as 'crow flies', 'road' etc.
    I'm pretty impressed that you have managed to create your own facility for
    calculating distances based on lat and long, but as I would still have to
    look these up individually, I'm afraid I would not be any better off.

    Thanks very much for the kind response, however.

    Regards,
    Steve_H

    (incidentally I would also love to have a camera with gps built in, so that
    I didn't have to spend hours poring over maps trying to remember where I
    took the pics!)

    "Marcus Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:U%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Steve Hawkins
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    Would I be able to link this function into a spread sheet from MS Autoroute
    or would I still have to be looking up distances one at a time in MS
    Autoroute and copying them across? Otherwise, sounds like at least a
    partial solution if I am without web access for any reason.

    Thanks for the speedy response,

    Regards,

    Steve_H

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Marcus Fox
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    "Steve Hawkins" <steve.a.hawkins@ntl(nospam)world.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Marcus - that was quick!
    >
    > Sites such as Multimap and GoogleEarth are very helpful in finding routes
    > and distances between points, for various transport modes. Multimap seems
    > to manage whether postcode, conventional address, UK Grid reference or

    long
    > and lat are entered - this would be the normal way for me to convert a

    post
    > code into a long and lat.

    The only other way is that you will need to have access to a database that
    contains the postcode location information.

    Marcus

  7. #7
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    Steve, You would have to look them up one at a time and enter the distance
    into MS Autoroute.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  8. #8
    Steve Hawkins
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    Thanks to Bill and Marcus,

    I would have appeared to have identified a handy little add on somebody
    might like to design. Though I have to admit that I am somewhat surprised
    to find no-one has done this already.

    Regards,

    Steve_H

    (In case you are wondering, one use I had been thinking of for this was to
    enable simple calculation of a possible tax multiplier aimed at reducing
    traffic congestion caused by travel to work. It would have been useful to
    be able to simply enter the postcode of an employee or prospective employee
    into a spreadsheet, calculate the distance from the employment location
    postcode; sum all the distances, and divide by the number of employees. The
    bigger the resulting factor (I like to call it the 'chaos' factor) the more
    traffic is likely to be generated by that businesses flectional decision,
    and the more it should be taxed. Over time, suitable weighting given to
    this tax multiplier should encourage businesses to locate in places where
    there is a suitable workforce, rather than plonking down in the middle of
    nowhere and expecting employees to find their own way there. It could thus
    provide a relatively painless way of addressing a number of development and
    planning issues.)

  9. #9
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: UK postcode distance calculation?

    I think the Post Office maintains a Postcode-Address file which lists
    every UK postcode and its associated address (not sure if it has
    lattitude and longitude information). I've seen copies of this (maybe
    not totally up to date) on cover discs on various PC magazines in the
    past. I'm sure you have to pay for the latest version, but you might be
    able to get a starting point by checking out the cover discs from back
    issues.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  10. #10