Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot table re

  1. #1
    Vikram Dhemare
    Guest

    Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot table re

    Hi Friends,

    I have Pivot table something like below mentioned :
    Data
    CHILD PART NO. FG PART NO. Sum of TOTAL
    1010051 ATM0609 11556
    1010160 ATM0415 144
    PTM0606 2792
    PTM0607 3800
    1010161 ATM0412 6551
    1010162 ATM0415 144
    PTM0606 2792
    PTM0607 3800

    Now, I wish to pull the data "FG PART NO." (not the sum of total) as a
    result. Is this possible by using "getpivotdata" function.

    Hope u understood my question.
    Thanks in advance.

    Vikram P. Dhemare

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot tablere

    The GetPivotData function can return the data and totals from the pivot
    table, but not the field item text.

    You can link to a cell that contains a part number, e.g. =B8

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Vikram Dhemare
    Guest

    RE: Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot table re

    Thanks Mr. Debra Dalgleish

    Is there any option to return the text value? could you give formula with
    example
    --
    Thanks,
    Vikram P. Dhemare

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot tablere

    If you provide details on what value you want to return, someone may be
    able to help with a formula.

  5. #5
    Vikram Dhemare
    Guest

    Re: Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot tabl

    Here is the pivot table :
    A B C
    RC1 1010051 ATM0609 11556
    RC2 1010160 ATM0415 144
    RC3 PTM0606 2792
    RC4 PTM0607 3800
    RC5 1010161 ATM0412 6551
    RC6 1010162 ATM0415 144
    RC7 PTM0606 2792
    RC8 PTM0607 3800
    The result would be:

    1010162 =INDEX(A1:C8,MATCH(A10,A1:A8,3),row(2),col.(2)) i.e. the returned
    field value would be PTM0606
    =INDEX(A1:C8,MATCH(A10,A1:A8,3),row(3),col.(2)) i.e. the returned field
    value would be PTM0607
    I have tried this:
    in Cell B10 =INDEX(A1:C8,MATCH(A10,A1:A8,2),2)
    in Cell B11 =INDEX(A1:C8,MATCH(A10,A1:A8,3),2)
    but the value is returning ATM0415 i.e the first corresponding row value of
    given criteria.
    Pl. help me out as I am in desparately need the solution for this.

    --
    Thanks,
    Vikram P. Dhemare

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot tabl

    The following formula would return PTM0606 with 1010162 in cell A10:

    =OFFSET(A1,MATCH(A10,A1:A8,1),1)

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Debra,

    This is interesting. Pivottables are so quick and easy to create, and so useful, but I've not been able to effectively re-use the data summarised by pivottables into other reports without retyping.

    I assume that if the source data changed (say another part number appeared in the following month, then formulae extracting figures from the pivottable may become invalid.

    I understand that any figure in pivottables can be drilled down on to give all source entries - which is fantastic - but this is the only report I've been able to effectively reprocess pivottable data into - apart of course from reprocessing into another pivottable.

    Is there any source which explains how to re-use and reprocess pivottable data? Any tips & tricks summary?

    Thanks,
    Last edited by John James; 04-11-2006 at 10:31 PM.

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can I pull field as datafield or as a output from a pivot tablere

    The sample formula in my previous post will pull a field item from the
    pivot table. To pull data, you can use the GetPivotData function, as
    described in Excel's Help, and here:

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks Debra. Much clearer now.