New laptop - where are the custom button settings filed ?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Birmingham, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    New laptop - where are the custom button settings filed ?

    I am in the process of transferring to a new laptop and have quite a few custom menus and buttons which I'd like to transfer across. Does anyone know where I can find these on my old machine so that I can copy them across ?

    Thanks

    Terry
    Terry

    "... I thought I was a power user of Excel until I came onto these boards..."

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: New laptop - where are the custom button settings filed ?

    *xlb is the menu file, if you search for it make sure you search hidden
    files and folders

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    "twaccess" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: New laptop - where are the custom button settings filed ?

    Terry

    Toolbar and Menu customizations are stored in your xxxxxx.XLB file where
    xxxxxx is version-dependent name.

    Excel 97.....username.xlb

    Excel 2000...Excel9.xlb

    Excel 2002...Excel10.xlb

    Excel 2003...Excel11.xlb

    Note: there may be other customizations you want to transfer at the same time.

    Before reading further.......

    Transferring your *.xlb file from 97 to 2003 will reduce the functionality
    of new version menu items, although most of them can be dragged onto the old
    menu.

    Read on.........

    NOTE: some settings are workbook-specific and would be stored with the
    workbook.

    For other global stored settings..........

    Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many Tools>Options
    settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

    To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
    section in it, if you feel comfortable.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\Excel\Options

    XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

    Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
    Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

    If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
    editing tips"

    http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

    Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
    back them up.

    Note also: you may want to move over your *.ACL(autocorrect files) and any
    *.DIC files.

    For a more comprehensive listing see Dave Peterson's posting at

    http://snipurl.com/8r7x

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:36:21 -0500, twaccess
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am in the process of transferring to a new laptop and have quite a few
    >custom menus and buttons which I'd like to transfer across. Does anyone
    >know where I can find these on my old machine so that I can copy them
    >across ?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Terry

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Birmingham, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365
    Thanks Peo and Gord

    I found the .xlb file and copied it to the same location on my new laptop. But it doesn't load up with Excel and I have restarted the laptop too in case that made a difference.

    I am able to fire the xlb file up and when I do, it brings up the toolbar arrangement as I have always had it before. Is this where I need to dive into the registry....

    Hmm, I could try deleting the xlb file and trying again by doing a simple customisation to force the creation of a new .xlb file. Then delete this and replace with the one I want....

    Be right back......

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Birmingham, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365
    Problem solved, it seemed to sort itself out all by itself once I'd loaded the xlb file into Excel.

    Thanks Guys again.