Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

  1. #1
    TJoeO
    Guest

    Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

    Self explanatory

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Doesn't Tools, Options, Save, Autorecovery do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by TJoeO
    Self explanatory

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  3. #3
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

    What version do you have? XP and up does

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    TJoeO
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

    I guess they finally figured it out. I have 2000 and can't do it.

  5. #5
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

    I have Excel 2000 -and it appears to have an autosave feature (although I
    never use it). Tools/Add-Ins/Autosave.

  6. #6

    Re: Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

    xl2002 added an autorecovery feature that can be turned on by the user. It
    saves a copy of the workbook every xx minutes (user selectable).

    If excel/windows crashes, the next time you open excel, it sees that file and
    asks if you want to recover from the crash.

    Before xl2002, there was an autosave addin that you could use. It actually
    saved the file every xx minutes (againg selectable by the user). But it wasn't
    made to recover from crashes--it just saved right over the file.

    Jan Karel Pieterse wrote an addin (works in any version) called AutoSafe (note
    spelling).

    It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
    selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
    them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
    recycle bin.

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
    (look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

    Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
    last version it saved.

    =====

    And Gord Dibben posted this:

    Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
    If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
    To download the 97 version see here........
    http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

  7. #7
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Why doesn't Excel have autosave feature like Word?

    I never had any luck with the autorecovery in 2000 as it was an add-in and
    always seemed to clash with saves and the like, causing a lot of crashes
    itself.

    The XP and up integrated version works great

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk