format the outcome of a formula

  1. #1
    tinester
    Guest

    format the outcome of a formula

    I have a formula that pulls in numbers into a text string but i want to
    underline or bold the numbers being pulled in and selected parts of the text.
    Is this possible?

    eg cell formula
    ="john is "&A1&" years old" where cell A1 is 10
    returns
    "john is 10 years old"
    ideally i want the 10 to be bold and the old to be underlined

    even if the cell the number is being drawn from (A1 in this case) is bold or
    underlined the format is not pulled into the result of the formula

    many thanks

    (nb i have excel 2002)

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: format the outcome of a formula

    Select the cell and copy it it. Then paste/special/as value elsewhere in the
    worksheet. At this point you can select portions of the new cell in the
    formula bar and format them as you choose.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    tinester
    Guest

    RE: format the outcome of a formula

    thanks but i need the formula link to stay becasue the number in the version
    i am trying to use are constantly changing (i used a slightly oversimplified
    example in my original question)

  4. #4
    Peter
    Guest

    RE: format the outcome of a formula

    I wanted to do something similar. Despite much searching I eventually gave
    in. As far as i know Excel is incapable of doing what you ask. I wanted to
    return a suitably formated string to word using bold and underlining in
    relevant parts of a Book reference. In the end I needed to do it as a
    separate macro in Word using delimiters supplied by excel - frankly it was
    tediously difficult!

    One solution might be to use small cells close together with each cell
    formated as required- in-elegant I know, but perhaps better than nothing!

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Peter