Presenting Subtotals only

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    Presenting Subtotals only

    In Excel, I use subtotals quite often, but theres got to be a way to use
    them more efficiently! I like the tool quite a bit, but sometimes what I
    need is JUST the subtotals, not the detailed records themselves. I need to
    create a presentation-quality worksheet with only the totals. Collapsing the
    subtotals by nesting them isn't the answer; the worksheets reviewers dont
    need / want the detail records, and the presentation of the collapsed view is
    clunky at best.

    What I'm doing requires several steps:
    1. After subtotaling, copy and Paste Special Values (replacing the
    subtotal formulas with values)
    2. Remove the subtotals -> Data, Subtotals, Remove All
    3. Sort the range so the subtotals are grouped together
    4. Delete the detail records
    5. Insert a column, and create a formula to strip out the word Total from
    each Description
    6. In the new column, Copy and Paste Special Values to remove that formula
    Delete the old Description column.

    Yuck! Too many steps. Is there a better way to accomplish the goal of
    taking a subtotaled range and just displaying the totals?

  2. #2
    Gazeta
    Guest

    Re: Presenting Subtotals only

    Uytkownik "Tom" <[email protected]> napisa w wiadomoci
    news:[email protected]...
    > In Excel, I use subtotals quite often, but there's got to be a way to use
    > them more efficiently! I like the tool quite a bit, but sometimes what I
    > need is JUST the subtotals, not the detailed records themselves. I need

    > create a presentation-quality worksheet with only the totals. Collapsing

    the
    > subtotals by nesting them isn't the answer; the worksheet's reviewers don'

    > need / want the detail records, and the presentation of the collapsed view

    is
    > clunky at best.
    >
    > What I'm doing requires several steps:
    > 1. After subtotaling, copy and Paste Special - Values (replacing the
    > subtotal formulas with values)
    > 2. Remove the subtotals -> Data, Subtotals, Remove All
    > 3. Sort the range so the "subtotals" are grouped together
    > 4. Delete the detail records
    > 5. Insert a column, and create a formula to strip out the word "Total"

    from
    > each Description
    > 6. In the new column, Copy and Paste Special Values to remove that

    formula
    > Delete the old Description column.
    >

    > Yuck! Too many steps. Is there a better way to accomplish the goal of
    > taking a subtotaled range and just displaying the totals?

    i think that pivot table should resolve your problem or you could use sum.if
    function
    look at http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    mcg

  3. #3

    Re: Presenting Subtotals only

    I agree with mcg that pivottables might be the way to go...

    If you want to read more about pivottables...

    Here are a few links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

    =============
    But you could do all your data|subtotals
    show only the subtotals (hide the details
    select that range
    edit|goto|special|visible cells only
    edit|copy
    edit|paste (to a new location on a new worksheet???)

    Then select the column with the " Totals"
    Edit|replace
    what: _Totals (_ represents the space character)
    with: (leave blank)
    replace all

    And continue your formatting.