macro to print files from a list of links

  1. #1
    jim9912
    Guest

    macro to print files from a list of links

    I am trying to develop a macro to read a list of links from an excel
    spreadsheet and print each of the files. The number of files in the
    list may change.

    ANy ideas?

  2. #2
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    RE: macro to print files from a list of links

    Are these links to files on your PC on on the internet?

  3. #3
    jim9912
    Guest

    Re: macro to print files from a list of links

    On my PC

  4. #4
    jim9912

  5. #5
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: macro to print files from a list of links

    I have included a macro that runs through the hyperlinks on the spreadsheet
    and prints their addresses in the immediate window, to get you started

    I haven't had occasion to do what you want to do, so the rest of this is
    what I would try if I were doing it.

    How to proceed from there depends on the type of files you're printing. If
    they are Excel files, it should be easy. You have the Open, PrintOut, and
    Close methods.

    If you have a hyperlink base that you need to use, you might be able to get
    it with BuiltInDocumentProperties. If worse comes to worse, you could
    specify it in an input box (which allows for a default if appropriate), or
    put it in a particular cell or named range in the worksheet itself.

    1) You can use FileCopy or Copyfile to copy the files to a folder, then
    print the files outside of Excel, from Window Explorer. You might already
    know you can print a group of files from Windows Explorer.

    2)You could modify this macro to do a "Follow" or "FollowHyperlink", then a
    "SendKeys", sending the appriate keys to print and close the file. Eg, for a
    Word document, Alt+P to print, Alt+F E to exit. See Help for specifics.

    3) If that doesn't work, you can use hyperlink address to set up an
    interaction with whatever a program (eg., Word) that can process your files
    and has VBA capability. This is something I've never done, but it is shown
    in "Excel 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference" by Paul T. Kimmel and other, and
    I'm sure in other books.

    Sub PrintHyperlinks()
    ' Created by Patricia Shannon April 2006

    Dim ThisHyperlink As Hyperlink
    Dim ThisHyperlinkAddress As String

    For Each ThisHyperlink In ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks
    ThisHyperlinkAddress = ThisHyperlink.Address
    Debug.Print "hyperlink="; ThisHyperlinkAddress
    Next

    End Sub

  6. #6
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: macro to print files from a list of links

    In case you need it, I did find the Hyperlink base in
    BuiltInDocumentProperties.
    It was Activeworkbook.BuiltInDocumentProperties(29)
    I don't know if the item number would vary between Excel versions. I have
    Excel 2003.

  7. #7
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: macro to print files from a list of links

    Other possibilities:
    4) Open both Excel and the program suitable for printing the files, eg.
    Word or Notepad. From Excel, use "SendKeys" to switch to the other pgm, open
    the file, print it, close it, and transfer control back to your Excel pgm.
    Eg. in "SendKeys", Alt+Tab is "%{TAB}" , which switches to the other pgm.

    5) Use "Print #" to write the filenames to a file. Then you would have to
    have a macro in the other pgm to read the filenames from this file, with
    "Line Input #" and print the files. You will also need "Open #" and "Close
    #" statements.

  8. #8
    Patricia Shannon
    Guest

    Re: macro to print files from a list of links

    In looking thru the msgs this morning, I discovered the Shell function, which
    can execute another program, eg. Word. You could precede it with Sendkeys.