recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

  1. #1
    unsave excel worksheets
    Guest

    recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

    I copied a worksheet in one file and when I pasted it to a worksheet in
    another file it got pasted to all the worksheets in that file and I hit save
    befor I realized that happened. I need to know is there a way to get the old
    information back on those files that were changed in error after a save?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    This is a quetion often asked, and the answer is that you cannot 'un-save' changes after you have closed a file.

    You will need to recover the workbook from your backup system.

    We all hope that you do keep backups of your data.

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by unsave excel worksheets

  3. #3
    dantee
    Guest

    RE: recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

    I don't know of a way to do that from within Excel, but you can try System
    Restore. The only catch here is that you may lose other stuff you saved that
    you do not want to lose, the sooner you do it after you saved that one file
    you did not want to save, the better.... Here is what I would do if I was in
    your shoes....

    I would go to Control Panel (from the Start Menu), select Performance and
    Maintenance, and then System Restore (I'm using Windows XP). Select "Restore
    my computer to an earlier time" and then Next, but before you choose the most
    recent date available (in bold), get a floppy or a read-write CD/DVD to save
    some files on. OK... now the harder part...

    The date you select will be the date your settings will go back to. For
    instance, if 4/12/06 is available (bold) and you select it, your computer
    will go back to the way it was in 4/12/06... meaning it will not show
    anything you did on 4/13/06. You may have to go back further if 4/12/06 is
    not in bold (bad). This is where you would start saving all the good stuff
    you don't want to lose that you worked on and saved since the most recent
    available "restore point" (the most recent bolded date) on your floppy or CD
    so that after you do the system restore, you could save these items back to
    your pc so that your other work won't be lost.... SO GO AHEAD AND SAVE ALL
    THE FILES YOU SAVED THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP THAT ARE BETWEEN THE MOST RECENT
    RESTORE DATE AVAILABLE TO THE PRESENT... hope you have a good memory , AND
    THEN restore your system to that date (click NEXT)... follow the prompts....
    remove your floppy/CD. Once you reboot, your system will have all your old
    information (but none of the new after the restore date) including the that
    file before it got messed up (before it was messed up)... but you can put
    your floppy/CD back in to "save as" all the good work you did since the
    restore date.

    Wow... hope this helps....

    dantee.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjobom
    Guest

    Re: recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

    System restore does not restore deleted files

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Nothwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    dantee
    Guest

    Re: recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

    Hi Peo.

    Did not know that. But... he would be trying to restore a file to the way
    it was.... right? I mean he would not be trying to restore something he
    deleted. I don't think he said he had ever deleted it. I could be wrong....
    your comments are welcome.

    dantee.

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

    Hi Dantee,

    while I misread the OP I am sure it won't work. Think at it like this:

    You have a computer that had a restore point 1 week ago (not impossible,
    many people never turn off the computers), assume you since then have done
    a lot of changes to all kind of different documents. Now you have a slight
    windows problem due to a shareware program that was installed, helpdesk
    tells you to do a system restore. You end up with excel and word files that
    changed back to one week earlier. How could you trace back to what you did.
    System restore will restore system files but will not affect personal data
    files..

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: recover a file in excel that has been changed and saved

    Here's from MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network)

    "The System Restore feature of Microsoft® Windows® XP (the operating system
    previously known as Microsoft® Whistler) enables administrators to restore
    their PCs, in the event of a problem, to a previous state without losing
    personal data files (such as Word documents, drawings, or e-mail).
    What's Restored and What's Not

    Restored

    Registry
    Profiles (local only-roaming user profiles not impacted by restore)
    COM+ DB
    WFP.dll cache
    WMI DB
    IIS Metabase
    Files with extensions listed in the <include> portion of the Monitored File
    Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK

    Not Restored

    DRM settings
    SAM hives (does not restore passwords)
    WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
    Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in
    the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
    Any file with an extension not listed as <included> in the Monitored File
    Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
    Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore
    (hklm->system->controlset001->control->backuprestore->filesnottobackup and
    keysnottorestore)

    Contents of redirected folders"

    Peo

    news:u02U57%[email protected]...