Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Reset Counter

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    Reset Counter

    Hello,

    In Column A, I have this list of 1's and empty cells*, i would like to have
    in column B a function that gives me the next result:

    *A1=1 B=1
    *A2=1 B=2
    *A3=1 B=3
    *A4="" B=""
    *A5=1 B=1
    *A6=1 B=2
    *A7="" B=""
    *A8=1 B=1
    *A9=1 B=2
    *A10=1 B=3

    It would be like a counter that tells me the number of times 1 has appeared
    so far, but when it reaches: "" it restarts and goes on again.

    ,thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    In B1 put

    =IF(A1<>1,"",1)

    In B2 put

    =IF(A2<>1,"",1+IF(B1="",0,B1))

    and formula drag that down as far as you need.

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Reset Counter

    In B1:
    =IF(A1="",0,1)
    In B2:
    =IF(A2="",0,B1+1)
    Copy down as far as you need

    Format Custom as "General;General;" to suppress zeros

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  4. #4
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Reset Counter

    Hello again, both formulas work fine, but I forgot to mention a small detail
    when I was explaining the problem the first time, sorry about that... Both
    formulas are referenced to the upper cell, so when I delete a row i get #REF!
    as a result until the next blank cell. Do you have any suggestions to
    overcome that problem? The file in which I am working with is meant to have
    posibility to delete rows once in a while.

    thanks again, really!

    Ed

Closed Thread