Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

  1. #1

    Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    Forgive me for these trivial questions, but I cant find the answer using the documentation.

    I want a formula to use the bottom non-blank cell in a range. How can this be achieved?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    try this?

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(range<>""),range)

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html

    Bob Phillips

    "Fenneth" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    igbert
    Guest

    Re: Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    Hi,

    Ias there a similar formula to find the first non blank cell in a range?

    Igbert

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    Hi!

    Try this entered as an array using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A100<>"",0))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    igbert
    Guest

    Re: Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    Thanks for the great formula. It works for both text and numbers.

    I am new with Index and Match functions. Please kindly explain the logic of
    this formula.

    Many thanks.

    Igbert

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    >Please kindly explain the logic of this formula.

    Sure!

    I'll use a smaller range to demonstrate.

    Assume the range of cells is A1:A5:

    A1 = (empty)
    A2 = (empty)
    A3 = (empty)
    A4 = XX
    A5 = YY

    =INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A5<>"",0))

    The Index function holds an array of values. In this case those values are
    from the range A1:A5.

    Each of these values is in a relative position within the array.

    A1 = position 1
    A2 = position 2
    A3 = position 3
    A4 = position 4
    A5 = position 5

    Using the formula, we want to find the first non-empty cell in that array so
    we can use the Match function to tell the Index function which value to
    return.

    MATCH(TRUE,A1:A5<>"",0)

    This expression will return an array of TRUEs and FALSEs:

    A1:A5<>""

    A1 <>"" = FALSE
    A2 <>"" = FALSE
    A3 <>"" = FALSE
    A4 <>"" = TRUE
    A5 <>"" = TRUE

    This is what it looks like inside the Match function:

    MATCH(TRUE,{FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE},0)

    MATCH returns the number of the relative position of the first instance of
    the lookup_value.

    The lookup_value is TRUE and has been found in the 4th position within the
    array:

    {FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE}

    So, now the formula looks like this:

    =INDEX(A1:A5,4)

    This returns the value from the 4th position of the indexed array:

    A1 = position 1
    A2 = position 2
    A3 = position 3
    A4 = position 4
    A5 = position 5

    So, the formula returns the value from A4:

    A1 = (empty)
    A2 = (empty)
    A3 = (empty)
    A4 = XX
    A5 = YY

    =INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A5<>"",0)) = XX

  8. #8
    igbert
    Guest

    Re: Finding the bottom non-blank cell in a range

    Hi Bob,

    Many thanks for the thorough explantion. It is very clear.

    Igbert