Referencing a cell in another worksheet then using fill handle to continue pattern

  1. #1

    Referencing a cell in another worksheet then using fill handle to continue pattern

    Hi First off let me say this is my first Google Groups post, and I am
    excited to see how this will work out.
    Ok so my problem is this:
    I am trying to set up an auto style spreadsheet that will just take a
    value from one cell on a worksheet, and enter it into the designated
    cell in another worksheet with in the same workbook. My main data
    entering worksheet is called "master". The second sheet i am trying to
    set up so that when i enter data on the master sheet, it also appears
    where i tell it to on the book 2.
    I am using this formula on book 2 where i want the data" =master!C4"
    and it works ok. The big thing is is that the next cell needs to
    reference master!c6 and then next is c8 and so on. So i basically need
    to repeat this formula for every other alternating cell in the master
    document. When i enter 4 or 5 of these manually in book 2, and then try
    to use the auto fill handle, it does not recognize the even numbver
    pattern. ANy ideas?
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Referencing a cell in another worksheet then using fill handle to continue pattern

    bump

  3. #3

    Re: Referencing a cell in another worksheet then using fill handle tocontinue pattern

    I like this technique:

    Put this in the top cell in your range:
    ="$$$Master!C"&(2*ROW(A1))+2

    Notice that you don't actually have a formula that retrieves the value from the
    Master Sheet. It's a formula that builds a formula.

    Drag down the column as far as you need

    Select that range
    Edit|copy
    Edit|paste special|values

    With that range still selected
    Edit|replace
    what: $$$
    with: = (equal sign)
    replace all

  4. #4

    Re: Referencing a cell in another worksheet then using fill handle to continue pattern

    Thanks Dave for your response!
    I will give this a shot and see if it works! I appreciate it. I will
    let you know the outcome.
    Regards,
    Travis

  5. #5

    Re: Referencing a cell in another worksheet then using fill handle to continue pattern

    Great solution! Thanks so much for this Dave. Worked like a charm.