Please help: Pivot Tables problem

  1. #1
    James Yeang
    Guest

    Please help: Pivot Tables problem

    Hi, calling out anyone who can help with pivot tables

    Here's my scenario:
    3 people are asked a few questions, where their responses can be
    grouped as "Yes" or "No".

    I need to be able to count the number of Yes and No responses to Q1,
    Q2, Q3 in a pivot table and then be able to Zoom in by user...

    eg. This is the sample data collected

    Q1 Q2 Q3
    Jimmy Yes No Yes
    Jack No Yes Yes
    Jill Yes No Yes

    and this is how I want to pivot table to look like....

    Page: Username (eg. All users)

    Q1 Q2 Q3
    Yes 2 1 3
    No 1 2 0

    Try as I may, I cannot get it to appear that way. Can anyone please
    help me with the layout, or tell me what I need to be selecting?

  2. #2

    Re: Please help: Pivot Tables problem

    I don't think I'd use a pivottable.

    I'd just use a few formula:

    Q1 Q2
    Yes =countif(sheet1!b:b,a2) =countif(sheet1!c:c,a2) ....
    No =countif(sheet1!b:b,a3) =countif(sheet1!c:c,a3) ....

    Change the sheet name and column addresses accordingly.

  3. #3
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Please help: Pivot Tables problem

    Dave:
    Is a Pivot Table even possible?
    I made a couple attempts at creating, but all failed..
    Tks,
    Jim May

  4. #4

    Re: Please help: Pivot Tables problem

    I think you'd have to change your data (maybe use 1 for yes and 0 for know).
    Then you could count/sum what you want.

    But I don't think you'll get what you want.

    It would be a lot easier if the data were laid out like:

    Name Question Resp
    Jimmy Q1 Yes (or 1)
    Jimmy Q2 No (or 0)

  5. #5