excel automatic numbering

  1. #1
    Spice
    Guest

    excel automatic numbering

    I have to type b1 - b105 - i was wondering is there someway where if you type
    b1 - b10 it will continue the numbering on its own?

  2. #2
    First select a few cells and put a little info or numbers like b1, b2, b3 now highlight b1 and all the way down as far as you want your numbering to go, say to cell 150. Select Edit, Fill, Series, Auto Fill. This should do the trick.

  3. #3
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    Type b1 and then use the drag handle (bottom right hand side of cell) to drag down.

    This will auto-increment as you wish.
    Martin

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    If you just want Numbers in B1 - B105 (i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc.) then in cell B1 enter 1 then in B2 enter =B1+1 and then copy and paste as far as you need to go - then if you want you can get "rid" of the formula - do a copy and paste special - values.
    If you want something like B1, B2, B3, B4, etc. then do the same as above and then in another column - enter B or what ever text you want for each cell and then use the CONCATENATE function.

  5. #5
    Martin
    Guest

    RE: excel automatic numbering

    In the first column for example type in

    b1
    b2
    B3
    b4

    select all of them, If you pull/drag down the cells, by using the little
    balck box at the bottom right hand corner of the selected cells, and just
    pull down as far as you need.

    Excel should pick up the pattern.

    Martin