How to open a "locked for editing" spreadsheet to unlock it?

  1. #1
    metmart
    Guest

    How to open a "locked for editing" spreadsheet to unlock it?

    Since my upgrade to Office 2003, my Excel files are "locked for editing."
    Some of them were files created in Excel 2000, a couple of others were closed
    by the computer restart when MS's automatic updates processed and the files
    were open. Is there some way to stop this?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to open a "locked for editing" spreadsheet to unlock it?

    Most common cause.............

    Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

    Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
    out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
    open and locked for editing.

    You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
    clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

    If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

    Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

    If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:14:01 -0700, metmart <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Since my upgrade to Office 2003, my Excel files are "locked for editing."
    >Some of them were files created in Excel 2000, a couple of others were closed
    >by the computer restart when MS's automatic updates processed and the files
    >were open. Is there some way to stop this?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP