fix old file created with an old version of excel

  1. #1
    PiPPo
    Guest

    fix old file created with an old version of excel

    I have a workbook that I have inherited from a previous employee. I
    believe that it was created with an old version of Excel, or even with
    Lotus 123. Basically, I have a few sheets containing what seems to be
    the code for macros (they in fact appear under the tools>macro>macros
    menu). Since they do not work, and since I have more or less an idea
    of what they do, I decided to erase them and create my own macros. If
    I erase the sheets containing the code, I cannot erase the name of the
    macros under the macros menu. Neither is possible to erase the names
    from the macros menu.

    Can someone tell me how to get rid of this old code? Also, If I
    activate the visual basic editor, there is not track of the
    spreadsheet.

    Thanks,

    PiPPo

  2. #2
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Re: fix old file created with an old version of excel

    Question: When you click on Window, Unhide, is there a Personal.xls in the
    available selection?
    If yes, your macros are contained in this file. Use the VBA editor to reach
    the module that contains the macro IN Personal.xls and delete. Once you are
    finished, HIDE Personal.xls by going to Window, Hide.

    HTH
    Gilles
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: fix old file created with an old version of excel

    PiPPo

    If the workbook in question was constructed using XL95 which had the "Menu
    Editor" feature the Menu Items will continue to reappear even though there are
    no Macros associated with them. This feature(Menu Editor)was dumped with XL97
    and up.
    Jim Rech has written RemoveMenu.XLA which gets rid of these. Can be found on
    Stephen Bullen's site.

    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP