Freeze tab

  1. #1
    TKPM
    Guest

    Freeze tab

    I have a data base with lots of workbooks in it, the first workbook is
    my index to the rest. Is it possible to freeze this tab so when I
    scroll through the other workbooks it remain visible?

    --
    TKPM
    Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Freeze tab

    "TKPM" wrote:
    > I have a data base with lots of workbooks in it, the first workbook is
    > my index to the rest. Is it possible to freeze this tab so when I
    > scroll through the other workbooks it remain visible?

    Hazarding some thoughts here ..

    Assuming you're referring to a single workbook with lots of worksheets in
    it, and the "first" worksheet is your index sheet, then perhaps something
    along these lines might bring you close ..

    Click Window > New Window
    Then click Window > Arrange > Horizontal (say) > OK

    The above gives a 50-50 "split" horizontal view
    of 2 windows of the same workbook

    Then,
    In the top window, we could simply click on the "index" sheet, and
    Use the bottom window to select/scroll to whatever other sheet that's
    desired
    (the top window will remain "frozen")

    And if required,
    we can also resize manually* the top & bottom windows to taste,
    *if the auto 50-50 horizontal split is less than perfect
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Freeze tab

    I will make the same assumption as Max that you are dealing with one
    workbook with lots of worksheets; otherwise, you need a lot more information..

    If your index worksheet uses hyperlinks you can use the BACK button
    to return to the hyperlink from whence you came.

    I would arrange the worksheet tabs in alphabetical order with
    your index sheet named so that it would be first sheet.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#sortallsheets

    You could use a macro get to the first worksheet, or to a specific worksheet.
    You could use the leftmost [ |< ] button on the tabs row to make the first worksheet tab
    visible. You can drag a worksheet tab to another position (but I prefer sorting
    the tabs).

    Sub GotoFirstSheet()
    Sheets(1).Select
    End Sub

    Sub Goto$Index$Sheet()
    Sheets("$index$").Select
    End Sub

    To install and use a maro see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#havemacro

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by TKPM
    I have a data base with lots of workbooks in it, the first workbook is
    my index to the rest. Is it possible to freeze this tab so when I
    scroll through the other workbooks it remain visible?

    --
    TKPM
    Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in
    Hi TKPM,
    This is not what you asked for, but thought i would throw it out anyway.
    If you are just looking for a faster way than scrolling to get back to the first Tab.
    Right click on the little arrows at the bottom left of your window.
    A list of your tabs will show, and you can just click on the one you want.
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"