Loosing value of large number when saving file to CSV format

  1. #1
    Kim Luu
    Guest

    Loosing value of large number when saving file to CSV format

    Currently I tried to save a workbook with field which has value say
    376123456789012 into CSV format. Later on when I tried to load the CSV file
    into Excel, the field is now displayed as 3.76E+14. The content of this
    field is still correct i.e. 376123456789012. Without any modification to this
    file I save it again into CSV format. Once file is saved, I loaded again into
    Excel. This time the field value becomes 376123000000000.

    Can you suggest a way to fix this problem.

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Hi,

    The display format for the cell is probably set to General, rightmouse and Format the cell, set it's format to Number.

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luu

  3. #3
    Kim Luu
    Guest

    Re: Loosing value of large number when saving file to CSV format

    Thanks Bryan,

    I did that however, as soon as I saved the file as CSV format and reload it
    again the format went back to general. It looks like Excel auto default all
    cells to General when open CSV file. Is there a way to change the default
    value to Text instead of General.

    The problem is that I have many customers who are using Excel to populate
    data and save the file as CSV before sending it to me. Not all of them are
    computing literate (that was why I recommend Excel as the tool for them). To
    tell them to write macro for their file is very inconvenient.