moving average

  1. #1
    tinybears
    Guest

    moving average

    Hey,

    I'm calculating a moving average, and I found this formula. In cel R14
    this formula is set:
    In cel R$1 there is the number 12,what are the days I want to calculate
    the average. Cel G14 is the current closeprice of the stock. Can
    someone explains this?

    thx

    =(R13+1/(R$1+1)*(G14-R13)

  2. #2
    kcc
    Guest

    Re: moving average

    Assuming R13 is the previous moving average, then this is an exponential
    moving average.
    As an example if R1=4, then G14 get a weight of .2 and the previous average
    weight is .8.
    Applying the same rule to R13 mean G13 get a weight of .8 * .2, G12 get
    ..8*.8*.2, etc.
    The formula I have seen would use 2/(R1+1) which mean if you put in 4 you
    get
    the equivalent of 9 in the standard formula.
    kcc

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    tinybears