Open Separate Excel Files in Separate Windows

  1. #1

    Open Separate Excel Files in Separate Windows

    Hey everyone,

    I did a quick search on this, but I didn't see anything that fit my question.

    My company recently "standardized" their IT across all departments around the world. I've been the lucky one in my department that has been adversely affected by the standardization. I've managed to reset just about everything that IT altered with one exception, and it's really petty, but it annoys me to no end.

    When I open Excel, it creates the usual taskbar button indicating that Excel is open and running. When I open up a second file, it does not create a new taskbar button. In the past, my taskbar would create a new button for every file I had running, and I would switch between files that way. Now, the only way I can switch between files is to go to Windows -> File Name. I hate doing that. No particular reason for it. I just do.

    How do I turn it back to how it used to be? I didn't see anything under Tools -> Options that affected this, but if I missed it, please, please, please let me know.

    Here are all of my current settings:

    System - XP Prof 2002, SP 1
    Taskbar Properties, Group similar tasbar buttons - Disabled <- I thought this would fix the problem, but it didn't.
    Office - Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (11.8012.6408) SP1

    TIA!

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Open Separate Excel Files in Separate Windows

    <Tools> <Options> <View> tab,

    And *CHECK*
    "Windows In Taskbar".

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "JTWood" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

[...]

    JTWood's Profile:
    View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=539566

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Open Separate Excel Files in Separate Windows

    Tools>Options>View....Windows in TaskBar.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Thanks for the help!