Runaway Spreadsheet?

  1. #1
    Guest

    Runaway Spreadsheet?

    Hi,

    One of our users has a strange problem in Excel. It seems that when he opens
    the program, and highlights a cell, the curser remains 'pressed down', so
    when he moves the mouse, the curser selection just highlights more cells,
    and he can't 'unclick' or stop the selection, it's as if he's selected a
    cell and kept his finger on the mouse, or held down shift (which I initially
    thought he had), and can only highlight more cells. When this happens he
    can't close excel, select anything from the toolbar, and the only way of
    getting out of it, is to alt+tab to another program, and then
    ctrl+alt+delete and end excel. I've seen similar issues in the past with
    sticky shift or windows keys, and windows explorer pops up every time
    someone hits the 'E' key, but that's not happening in this case, I'd expect
    highlighting in word to have the same issue if it was a sticky key, but
    there are no other problems with any other programs.

    We've tried closing excel, and I'm getting the user to reboot now. But I'm
    just wondering if this is a known issue, or just a one off strange quirk?

    Cheers

    Ben

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Runaway Spreadsheet?

    Press F8 once.

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Runaway Spreadsheet?

    Do you have problems with other apps? You could replace (separately) the
    keyboard and mouse just to eliminate that as the cause of the problem.
    Other than that it's possibly a software problem.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Runaway Spreadsheet?

    HTH wrote <<Press F8 once>>

    F8 is a nice key and without prejudice to any other key and in order to be
    super politically correct is no more or less inferior or superior to any
    other key.

    Out of curiosity what does it do and in this particular issue?

    Thanks.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Runaway Spreadsheet?

    F8 toggles Extended Selection Mode, which looks like what OP described.

    Cheers,
    --
    AP

    [email protected]...

  6. #6
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Runaway Spreadsheet?

    "Bill Ridgeway" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do you have problems with other apps? You could replace (separately) the
    > keyboard and mouse just to eliminate that as the cause of the problem.
    > Other than that it's possibly a software problem.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    Hi Bill,

    No other problems with the apps. Tried pulling the USB mouse out, and
    disabling the mouse pad, as it's a laptop couldn't do much with the
    keyboard. I got the user to reboot, and it seems fine now. I will test
    Ardus's suggestion of pressing F8, to see if I can similar the issue again,
    I guess pressing it once will turn the 'Extended Selection Mode' on, then
    off again.

    Ben

  7. #7
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Runaway Spreadsheet?

    "Ardus Petus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > F8 toggles Extended Selection Mode, which looks like what OP described.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > AP

    Hi Ardus,

    Thanks for the reply. I got the user to reboot, which fixed the original
    issue, however up on testing your solution, it seems to re-create the
    problem we had, and then pressing f8 again fixes it, so I can only assume
    the user had pressed f8 to cause the original issue.
    Thanks for the solution, I didn't know about this function before. May come
    in useful again in the future.

    Cheers

    Ben

  8. #8